On Wed, 24 May 2023, Tachibanaki Nozomi (橘木 希美) wrote:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your help always.
I am contacting you to ask about MaxFileSize in clamd.conf.

The following description is found in the configuration of
/usr/local/etc/clamd.conf.

MaxFileSize
# Technical design limitations prevent ClamAV from scanning files greater than
# 2 GB at this time.

Is there any plan or possibility to change the technical design
limitation that prevents scanning files larger than 2 GB in the
future?

I believe that the intention is to remove this limit at some point.

I wonder whether the technical limitations are less severe for
archive formats such as tar and zip.
Could "small" files inside "large" archives be scanned
without the work necessary for full "large" file support ?

Apart from vulnerabilities caused by 2GB and 4GB limits themselves,
I think scanning inside large archives might solve many of the
reasons for scanning large files.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                   and...@aitchison.me.uk