I agree with you.  I suspect the majority of cases today is when people have a
large archive of files to scan.

I think best case scenario for people with a need to scan files larger than the
present internal 2GB limit is that archives larger than 2GB are decompressed
and then the files inside are scanned, but without actually scanning the very
large outer archive.

The way to do this as things work today is to script something around clamscan
or clamdscan that if the file is too large, handle some assorted file types:

  1.  if file is a tar.gz, un-tar.gz it and then scan the files within.
  2.  if file is a zip, un-zip it and then scan the files within.
  3.  etc.

I think everyone would like if clamav could do this automatically for select
archive types. And I think the advantage would be that we would perhaps keep
the extracted files in memory, or else at least delete the temp files as we go
without extracting all of it to disk before starting to scan.

However, it would be far easier to make a shell script or a python script that
wraps clamscan/clamdscan and uses native tools like "tar", "unzip", etc.

Regards,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development