I managed to fix the issue. Under System -> Advanced System Settings ->
Environment Variables, I edited the 'Path' system environment variable and
added the following text at the beginning of the string, using a semi-colon
as the required separator: 'C:\Program Files\ClamAV'. Now, 'clamscan.exe'
and 'freshclam.exe' work as expected when I enter them into the Command
Prompt or the Command Line Interpreter. I had mistakenly added the text
'C:\Program Files\ClamAV' to the 'ComSpec' variable area, which caused my
issue. I apologize for wasting your time; I'm not the most proficient
Windows user or fan. I also thought about whether this functionality would
be useful to others and if it should be added to the online documentation
page at docs.clamav.net. Just a thought.