On 7/11/23 8:44 AM, Brian Morrison wrote:
403 is temporary error, if it was permanent (which might be due to a ban) it would be a 5xx error.
I may need more coffee, but I don't think that's correct.

Yes, in email, 4xy is temporary and 5xy is permanent.

However in HTTP, 4xy and 5xy mean significantly different things than they do in SMTP.

Per Mozilla's HTTP response status code page (link below), 400-499 (4xy) is "client (made an) error" response.

403 specifically is "The client does not have access rights to the content; that is, it is unauthorized, so the server is refusing to give the requested resource."

Link - HTTP response status codes
 - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status

Grant. . . .