Thanks for the replies,

Yes the head is assumed rigid and the between marker distances should be
invariant except for measurement error AND if a marker fell off, which is the
first thing I want to detect.  Once that is done, I also want to detect
movement of the subject's head as James said, with the goal of partitioning the
time series in intervals where there was no detected movement (above noise).
For now, I've been concentrating on the first aspect, and so dealing with the 3
distances between pairs of markers that should be constant.

We do co-registration with MRI images and we could also co-register multiple
MEG scans as Bill suggested, but that is a separate issue, at this point I'm
interested in within-scan movement.

My main question I suppose is whether the method I described has major flaws,
or if there would be better (simpler, more efficient) alternatives.  The aspect
I'm least comfortable with is how to determine (automatically) the measurement
error so I can detect real change.  In what I suggested, I use the distribution
of distances between adjacent time points and compare that with distances
between all time points (within a cluster) to decide if it needs to be split,
and where.  But that assumes there are few rapid movements (slow ones aren't as
bad).  Is there a better way to "extract the noise profile" or to detect real
change in the unknown noise?  Another question more relevant to this list: I
also wanted to know if there would be better clustering methods I could use
here.  I haven't found anywhere yet a clustering method that would be based on
3-d distances, but still restrict clusters to be time intervals.

Thanks again!
Marc

This e-mail may contain confidential, personal and/or health
information(information which may be subject to legal restrictions on use,
retention and/or disclosure) for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was
originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

CLASS-L list.
Instructions: http://www.classification-society.org/csna/lists.html#class-l