I have noticed problems of this sort for quite a while. I keep the
clementine application up 24 hours a day for several days at a time.
Eventually, it gets to a state (particularly while playing mp3 files
but sometimes when playing streaming URL)  where playing starts
pausing, at first a few seconds at a time and, eventually, longer and
longer times until it comes to a complete stop. If I look at the
status at the bottom of the screen, it indicates that is is stuck
buffering. The buffer full percentage, at first stops updating. When
the problem gets worse, the percentage even jumps back to a lower
level. Clearly, there is a problem here.
If I close clementine and relaunch it, the problem vanishes (for a week or so).