Ok, I've done some reading. If I understood it correctly the idea
would be to send messages to the queue that contain a transaction i.e.
a list of CQL commands to be run atomically. When one of the consumers
gets the message it can run the transaction atomically before allowing
another consumer to get the next message. If this is correct then in
order to handle cases in which I need to interleave code with the CQL
statements e.g. to check retrieved values, I need to implement a
protocol that uses the message queue as a locking mechanism. How is
this better than using cassandra for locking? (using the algorithm I
proposed or another one).