On Oct 10, 4:42 pm, "Ande Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David,
> Thank you very much for such an expansive response.  Currently a thread-safe
> Swing alternative is using the Jambi bindings for Qt. I neglected to provide

Hmm?  Qt isn't really any more threadsafe than Swing is, or than GTK+
is:

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/threads.html :
"Although QObject is reentrant, the GUI classes, notably QWidget and
all its subclasses, are not reentrant. They can only be used from the
main thread."

GUI programs by their very nature have a large amount of state, and
the object-oriented paradigm makes a lot of sense.  So back to the
original question - probably what makes the most sense with Clojure is
to write nontrivial GUI components in Java, and the interact with your
GUI code via Clojure's Java integration.