On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM, mac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am partial to a guideline for number of lines in a function because
> that has a lot to do with program factoring, not just aesthetics. But
> 80 characters for a line is a bit drastic.
> Sure it prints well on paper but who prints code on paper anyway in
> these times of laptops and projectors?
> With only 80 characters on a line you have to make names very short.
> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for short names but not at the expense of
> clarity.
> But as has been said, YMMV.

I think the 80 character limit depends a lot on peoples style and work habits.

When I'm not writing Java, I tend to have my editor on one side of the
screen, and a couple of console windows on the other side. An 80
character limit makes sense in this scenario because it allows me to
copy and paste code from one side of the screen to the other, without
having to worry about wrapping and horisontal scrolling.

It can be hard to come up with good short names, but you can also
trade indentation levels for a new function.

But while an 80 character limit works well for me, it might not for
others, and I am not sure whether or not it should be generally
recommended style (indecision ftw).

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
Christian Vest Hansen.