Fair enough - though my problem couldn't be fixed by caching, it could
be inlined without too much pain.  I just wanted to check I hadn't
missed something - I'm still learning clojure bit by bit, and while
it's fabulously well documented for such a new language, it's still
easy to miss this sort of detail.

Really, if I wanted to micro-optimise something like this, I could
write just these functions in Java, or in java assembler if I was
really keen.

... which has a certain symmetry - my first ever mandelbrot set
generator was written in C, with in-line assembler to optimise the
core algorithms for the shiny new 80386 CPU!

- Korny

--
Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com
kornys on gmail, twitter, facebook, etc.