Am 29.01.2017 um 21:15 schrieb Michael Lindon:
> Not quite what I'm looking for. There is an assigment in the Functional
> Programming in Scala coursera course called "funsets" - purely
> functional sets. A set is defined by its characteristic functions (a
> predicate) and source code can be found here
>
> https://mwclearning.com/sourcecode/scala/funsets/src/main/scala/funsets/FunSets.scala
>
> this is the sort of thing I am looking for.

What do you expect exactly from such an implementation? The definition
by the characteristic function might make elements of a set in theory
computably enumerable, but it is not practical to get a materialized
view. You can only query membership. Maybe if you can create a
persistent datastructure over characteristic functions you can actually
compose such a datastructure, but in fact you just compose predicates
(as is also done in FunSets.scala) and reify them as a type there.
If you just want such an implementation to fulfill part of Clojure's
contracts for sets, you would implement the corresponding interface:
https://github.com/clojure/clojure/blob/master/src/jvm/clojure/lang/IPersistentSet.java

But you would have to throw on some of these methods and I am not sure
what the benefits are. You can always create new interfaces (protocols)
ofc. Do you have a concrete problem in mind?

Best,
Christian