Maybe you are running an old version of leiningen?

This might work although JVM_OPTS works fine for me as well

:jvm-opts ^:replace ["-Xmx512m"]

Maybe you have some other conflicting configuration somewhere that sets it
explicitly to 4G? Usually no maximum is set and the JVM will automatically
adjust it based on your system.