Hi all,

I'm working on solving the problem http://adventofcode.com/2016/day/11 ,
and ran into some weird behaviour. I have solved the actual problem, so
let's not focus on it.

Here's my code:

(defn compute3
  {:test (fn []
           (is= (compute3 (create-state "F4 .  .  .  .  .  "
                                        "F3 .  .  .  LG .  "
                                        "F2 .  HG .  .  .  "
                                        "F1 E  .  HM .  LM "))
                11))}
  [state]
  (let [done-simple-state (state->simple-state (construct-finished-state
state))
        inner-fn (fn [states steps java-memory-map]
                   (println "On step" steps)
                   (println "Number of states" (count states))
                   (let [next-states (->> states
                                          (map (fn [state]
                                                 (->> (get-next-states
state)
                                                      (filter (fn [s] (nil?
(.get java-memory-map (state->simple-state s))))))))
                                          (flatten))]
                     ;; (println (count next-states)) <- Uncomment this
line to change the behavior
                     (if (.get java-memory-map done-simple-state)
                       steps
                       (do (doseq [next-state next-states]
                             (.put java-memory-map (state->simple-state
next-state) steps))
                           (recur next-states (inc steps)
java-memory-map)))))]
    (inner-fn [state] 0 (java.util.HashMap.))))

When running this in the repl I get the following output:

On step 0
Number of states 1
On step 1
Number of states 1
On step 2
Number of states 3
On step 3
Number of states 11
On step 4
Number of states 14
On step 5
Number of states 22
On step 6
Number of states 37
On step 7
Number of states 48
On step 8
Number of states 35
On step 9
Number of states 22
On step 10
Number of states 17
On step 11
Number of states 7

However, if I uncomment the println statement I get the following output in
the REPL:

On step 0
Number of states 1
1
On step 1
Number of states 1
3
On step 2
Number of states 3
11
On step 3
Number of states 11
15
On step 4
Number of states 15
28
On step 5
Number of states 28
63
On step 6
Number of states 63
107
On step 7
Number of states 107
90
On step 8
Number of states 90
82
On step 9
Number of states 82
115
On step 10
Number of states 115
81
On step 11
Number of states 81
110

Please note that "On step 4" prints "Number of states 14" and "Number of
states 15"  differently.

Any thoughts?