Real time is a special application domain. I am not sure that most
people want to work
in this domain (I did for several years with VMS and a power utility).

As for start up time  for small utility commands I disagree, this is
something that
could change if we start to use the hardware a bit more wisely one day.

I work with Ubuntu and all my frequently used tools are copied to RAM
(/tmpfs) at
boot time. My Java environment is there, Clojure, Eclipse, frequently
used librairies...
On top of that there's a daemon running to spot my frequently accessed
files and serve
them from RAM transparently.

It takes me less than 1.3 secs to get the REPL prompt.

Combine that with the approach of having a Clojure server in the
background and that's it.
Server is not there ? It gets started automatically in less than 2 sec.
and runs your stuff,
it's already started ? Well, it runs your commands immediately.

Ok, I have 6 gigs of RAM and a quad core (Q6600) and disk mirroring but
I cannot consume
more than 60% of the RAM and 10% of the swap space.

I run Oracle server, ActiveMq, Terracotta2, two copies of Eclipse most
of the time and
our application services on my desktop concurrently.
As to how I can get this machine down on it's knees begging me to stop,
well I did not find a way
in my day to day work yet.

With a dual core and 3gig of RAM at entry level prices, there are no
excuses to have a slow
environment. You just have to figure a nice way to use the power at your
disposal.

I am always ashamed when I see the kind of desktops developers get from
their employers.
I saw many sites where developers have desktops not more powerful than
the average office user.
That's poor planning. The time spent waiting by the developer after the
hardware is a significant
hidden cost but it seems that no manager wants to tackle this issue and
defend a wiser
buying strategy to get power where it's needed... no top executive needs
a quad core desktop
with tons of RAM.

On one project just by changing to this Ferrari, I shrank the
build->restart-application->ready to test
cycle from 90 seconds to 8.

When I started to code, computers were less powerful than the standard
pocket calculator but
we were doing a lot my designing accordingly. It's far more easier today
given the amount
of resources we have....

Luc

--

Luc Préfontaine

Off.:(514) 993-0320
Fax.:(514) 993-0325

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a real problem...