FWIW my research group used Slack for a while, but we switched to Discourse
close to two years ago and have been quite happy with it
(https://push-language.hampshire.edu, although only a tiny subset is publicly
viewable).

We're a much smaller community, with different needs, but still, I can attest
to Discourse being nice in several ways. Among other things, it seems to
encourage more deliberative interactions than I generally see on Slack, with a
better mix of rapid communication with longer-term documentation.

 -Lee