I found the Slack (and IRC) channel most useful for quick questions I need
immediate feedback for. I found myself missing the email traffic that used to
happen on this list but has gone over to Slack. Maybe it is the search that I
found lacking or just the effort one usually puts into forming a solid question
via email that doesn't seem to happen on Slack and IRC derivatives.

I don't have any strong moral objections to using non-FOSS tools so long as the
company/group isn't going to pivot and monitize our content. My concerns are
more practical and unfortunately it seems email lists are the most stable &
sustainable.

In other news... I'm designing/building a community platform (targeted
specifically at software development) in Clojure & ClojureScript, that includes
chat and mailing lists, but it isn't *anywhere* near ready. Initially I am
leveraging GitLab & Mattermost until the Clojure versions (or integrations?)
are ready. I have larger plans involving cooperatives that make it worth having
access in Clojure & ClojureScript. Maybe some time in the next year it will be
ready for a community as large as this... or not. If anyone is interested in
helping design or build it feel free to ping me offline at alan coopsource org,
w/ the usual punctuation implied.

My 2ct.

Alan