From: clojure@googlegroups.com <clojure@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Didier
<didi...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:21:04 AM
To: Clojure
Subject: Re: [core.spec] Stricter map validations?

Eric does raise an interesting question tho

I think so too. I'm still finding it hard to come up with a single example of
why allowing extra keys to validate would ever be useful even for non-breakage.
I can't see how it would break anything.

I believe the only advantage of allowing extra keys, is to allow partial specs.
So say you never had specs, and your API takes a ton of keys, and you start by
only speccing half the keys it takes. That's the only use case I could think of.

Personally I also wouldn't consider a client who sends a key that is not used,
to be broken if I now validate that he is not supposed to send it. I did not
break the API, I'm only making him realize he might have been wrong on how the
API worked since the beginning, if he thought somehow that this key was a valid
input and maybe expected it to alter the behavior. But in terms of semantics
and behavior, nothing has changes or been broken on my API.