I know they aren't "official" Clojure documentation, but the examples and
comments at clojuredocs.org are often correct, and even sometimes
illuminating.

http://clojuredocs.org/clojure.core/assoc!

All of the clojuredocs.org pages for transient operations refer to that one
for a more full discussion of the correct way to use them.

Andy