schema.utils.NamedError does not look like a loading error; is there any chance
that could be an error thrown by the library? Are you positive "some string" is
a valid argument to validate-statement-data?

A cursory look at the README of xapi-schema seems to indicate that function
will throw an exception if the input is not valid. I suspect it's working as
intended.