That's the whole idea, if your current "coding" habits are not efficient
well
changing them involves taking a risk... otherwise everyone would do it.

Humans have a tendency to stay within their comfort zone. Stretching
that bubble takes time. No change however = stagnation and eventually
obsolescence.

I have never believed in the single hammer approach to all problems
in a single project. However most customer projects I dealt with had
this
disease, the main reason being that was the "comfort" zone issue showing
up
in most of the technical decisions taken in the project.

The day managers will stop looking at their developer's skills
as something fixed and "immutable", projects will deliver with
better quality and faster because there will be a choice of tools
available
for different parts of the same project and more flexibility resource
wise.

When my shop was working solely on custom components for our customers,
I used to change people from one project to other according to the
workload state at a couple of hours notice. New project, new
technology...

It's like moving a plant from one spot to a different one.
It might be hard at first but at some point the plant gets stronger.

This approach beats the hell out of people at first but as they are
moved from one
project to the other they see the light. They understand how to adapt
and shift
because of the constraints (time line, learning curve, ....)

One big advantage of my employees versus plants: they were able to speak
when
they did needed some guidance. I must say that what I did was not a
benefit for most
that left for other companies since we stopped the custom software
business.

They found most of the time that their liberty was severely restricted
in their new job
compared to what they could do in my shop...

Today, we can choose the appropriate technology for the task to do since
we
are now working on our own products. Our approach has not changed except
that
we have greater latitude in what we decide to use (and of course greater
potential to hang ourselves).

Luc

--

Luc Préfontaine

Off.:(514) 993-0320
Fax.:(514) 993-0325

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a real problem...