On Wednesday 11 March 2009 18:35:46 Cosmin Stejerean wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Jon Harrop <j...@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> > Another red herring: you are describing a disadvantage of nominal over
> > structural typing.  Not dynamic vs static typing.
>
> You are correct, my apologies. I was trying to show an example of
> situations where what I know and what the compiler wants is different, but
> as you pointed out my example is only valid in the case of a nominal type
> system.

No problem.

The most commonly cited examples in academia are the fix point combinator and
polymorphically recursive functions, neither of which type directly in the
Hindley-Milner type system that today's statically-typed FPLs are almost all
based upon. However, not only do both OCaml and Haskell handle those examples
fine but the examples themselves are of little practical relevance.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e