I read the rationale, and I understand that we needed a way to bundle
depencies for clj and clojure cli. But in practice, I'm seeing a lot of
people move to it, away from boot or lein, and I fail to see what the end
goal really is?

Any serious work will need a build tool of some sort. If you use lein, it
comes with its own dependency management and config. Same for boot (as far
as I know). So in practice, if I use tools.deps, I've now doubled the
number of tools I depend on. I need lein and tools.deps.

For me, it seems the benefit would be around unified dependency config
format and maybe reuse of the resolver logic. Like say Lein and Boot and
all tools needing to specify dependencies adopted the format of tools.deps.
This would be nice, especially for source based dependencies, and dealing
with transitive dependencies in such case.

So, is there any hope/work to adopt the format in Lein and Boot? Or what is
the end goal otherwise?

Regards