From: clojure@googlegroups.com <clojure@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Didier
<didi...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:58:43 AM
To: Clojure
Subject: RE: What's the end goal for tools.deps?

Thanks everyone.

I guess I see the need for a dependency manager. And I love having a CLI to
launch Clojure programs. And I understand it is fundamental. That said, it
always felt like Lein had solved that problem long ago. Maybe it wasn't
official enough. But Lein could have been bundled with Clojure and effectively
solved the same problems and more.

That said, I do prefer the tools.deps abstraction. Just feels a little like
reinventing the wheel.

I'll be interested to read your blog posts Sean.

At my work, I can't use tools.deps, because we have an internal dependency
manager. And all dependencies are imported and vetted in it first. So I've
always wanted a build tool that was decoupled from dependency management. Since
tools.deps only outputs a classpath, I assume all these extra tools you
mentioned using to build and run your tests and deploy somehow work only given
a classpath. They might be useful to me.

Regards