In idealized algorithmic terms, is there an efficiency justification for
distinguishing the ':/' and ':/something' cases as the reader does?

Seems like an artifact of the implementation rather than a time or space
optimization. Maybe that error is only recognized upon entering the
sub-parser for the keyword part after the '/', even though you could
recognize and bail as soon as you see ':/'.

Or, vice versa, read both cases without throwing.

It's bad UX for the canonical reader to silently accept something that
other impls reject, but people are more likely to blame the alt impl. The
more important invariant for reader/writer impls is round-tripping. I'm