Hi,

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 4:53:04 PM UTC+2 matthew...@gmail.com wrote:

> It's also probably worth testing out writing something in "normal" Clojure
> and compiling it to an uberjar instead of running it via lein / clj,
> because depending on what "fast" means to you, a normal jar will often fit
> the bill, since the JVM itself starts in ~100ms.

Actually, during testing I run using the JVM, because creating the binary
is *REALLY* slow and unsuitable for development. Even for a very simple
program, it takes around 2s to run the uberjar. Which is decent for
development purposes, but it mean I'd need extra complexity for my target
use.

The GraalVM binary runs in about one tenth of a second, which is really
impressive. The other advantage is that I need to distribute this on a
couple of workstations, including Windows/macOS/Linux, and a single binary
is *easier* (but not really *better* in all senses).

I'm wondering if ClojureScript + nexe would work better (faster compiles,
smaller binaries?), but now that I have something working I'm not really in
the mood for further investigation.

Cheers,

Álex