Some important and potentially breaking changes to be aware of in the
official Clojure Docker images are landing soon (likely already present in
the images on Docker Hub by the time you read this):

- JDK 17 is the new LTS release, and as a result, is now the JDK version
you get if you don't specify a different one in your Docker tag (which we
recommend doing in production).

- The clojure:latest image (which is what you get if you only specify
'clojure' for your image name) now defaults to clj (i.e. tools.deps)
instead of lein. When these images were first created, Leiningen was the de
facto Clojure build tool. Nowadays we have an official first party tool, so
we've moved to that. As always, we only recommend using this image in
one-off commands and specifying build tool, clojure version, Linux distro,
and openjdk base version where those matter.

- All images using openjdk-17 or higher now use an ENTRYPOINT of their
respective build tool (i.e. lein, clj, or boot) and a CMD that launches a
REPL instead of the previous practice of the CMD being build-tool repl
(roughly). This means a bare docker run should behave approximately the
same way as before, except you can now do things like: `docker run clojure
-e '(+ 1 2)'` and it will print '3'. We left the older openjdk images alone
in case folks were relying on the old behavior in some cases, and we don't
want to break things where people were using full-specification tags.
    - If you're not familiar with this ENTRYPOINT vs. CMD concept in
Docker, it basically boils down to this: The CMD gets replaced with
whatever you put after the image name in a docker run command. So now you
can specify arguments to the build tool of whatever image you're running
instead of redundantly specifying it first. You can override the default
ENTRYPOINT with the `--entrypoint foo` arg to docker run (must come before
the image name) but see the "important caveat" below as many use cases will
hopefully be covered already without using that.
    - An important caveat: The entrypoint script we're using tries to
detect if you specify a CMD that isn't an argument nor subcommand of that
image's build tool and runs it as a standalone executable. In other words,
`docker run -ti clojure bash` still gets you a bash prompt. Please report
issues on https://github.com/Quantisan/docker-clojure if you find errors in
that logic. It is a requirement that official Docker images behave this
way, but we also want to make sure it is robust in the vast majority of use
cases.

- Some time ago we announced that debian slim-bullseye would be the default
distro you'd get if you didn't specify one, but not all of our images were
migrated to that default. Now they all are hopefully.

- The alpine-based images (only available for openjdk-18 currently) are now
using Alpine Linux 3.15 which was recently released. The biggest change
you'd probably notice there is that an rlwrap package is finally available
in Alpine and installed in the tools-deps images so the clj repl will
behave as it should.

- There is a long-standing bug in Docker that makes rlwrap crash if it is
started too soon after a container starts. We used to work around this with
a naive 1 second wait in the tools-deps images. We are now shipping with a
much better solution that waits a much shorter amount of time when it can,
but still waits for as long as it needs to on slower systems. This means
you should generally notice faster container starts for tools-deps images
than before.

OK I think that's it! Please report issues at
https://github.com/Quantisan/docker-clojure if you run into anything that
unexpectedly doesn't work.

New tools-deps images for releases after 1.10.3.1020 were waiting on this
being merged, so those should appear soon too.

Feel free to reply here if you have any questions, and may the REPL be with
you.