On Fri 22/05/09 09:50 , "jdz" yohoho...@gmail.com sent:

> On May 21, 9:35 pm, tcg <tomgu...@g
> mail.com> wrote:> You would think with Clojure's ability to make
> use of mutli cpu> hardware it would be a good choice for high-end
> game development.
> Clojure is not the only language which provides access to multiple
> CPUs/cores.  When programming with immutable data structures, the code
> is inherently parallelizable.  I don't imagine industry programmers
> starting to write functional code (yes, there's a pun!) just to get
> "easier" access to parallel processing.
>
> > Does anyone know if big game studios like
> Electronic Arts are using or> looking into Clojure for this
> purpose?
> Never heard of any "major" game studios writing games in Java
> (exceptmobile platforms).
> EA is a publisher, not a producer.

Not about clojure, but see this presentation from the developers of Gears of
War:

<http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~dpw/popl/06/Tim-POPL.ppt>

It talks about the programming language features that they would like, that
would enable them to utilise
multi-cores, and write better software in general; functional programming and
STM are the main two.

--
Dave