I have a one pagish program that you pass in your screen resolution and it
randomly picks out a new
desktop image from ftp.gnome.org, downloads the image and updates your
desktop.  This assumes
your using Gnome.

http://github.com/heyZeus/clojure-stuff/blob/0c81123fcb3dc4bafa0df94b6e32dc49729595d3/update-desktop-image.clj