> > Up to eight elements in a literal map are stored
> > as array-map. An array-map keeps the key ordering.
> > For more elements the map becomes a hash-map,
> > which does not keep the key ordering.
>
> I assume that's an implementation detail that one could not rely on,
> though, right?

Yeah, I guess so, and thanks to Paul and Meikel for pointing that out
--
I made the obvious mistake of assuming this is always going to work...

I'm going to change the API to replace the maps with vectors of
alternating
symbols and integers, which will make the ordering explicit.

Thanks once again!
Daniel Janus