> As a second point, I don't like the introduction of assoc!, conj!,
> etc.  It just strikes me as another bug to have (oh, right, I need
> assoc! not assoc...).
At least you will get a very clear error, I think it's possible to get
a compile time error if you are dealing with a local.
It will be runtime if you pass a parameter, but you should not, right ? :)

I would advocate a VERY STRONG WARNING about these structures,
otherwise people will litter their code ...
Maybe a compiler warning when a local transient is returned from a
function (with some way to locally suppress it?)

Kudos for making them single threaded!

Boris