On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 11:02 -0700, Sigrid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read the related story on InfoQ and found it an extremely
> interesting and motivating read, Clojure being applied in such an
> interesting field as machine learning!
>
> There is something in the article I'd like to understand better, so
> i'm just asking here on the group:
>
> "The way that Rich elected to de-couple destructuring bind from
> pattern matching was brilliant."
>
> Could someone point me to what the difference is? I know pattern
> matching e.g. from the PLT scheme implementation, and there the
> pattern matching also provides the binding and destructuring I
> think...?

Clojure allows destructuring of vectors, which happens to be what its
functions' argument lists are, so you get most of the benefits of
pattern matching. It's not full-blown, though, so (correct me if I'm
wrong) the equivalent of this is not possible:

length [] = 0
length (_:xs) = 1 + (length xs)

Regards,

--