On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Shawn Hoover<shawn.hoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, unless the platforms agree on literal regex
> syntax (they don't, beyond the basic "asdf|[0-9]+"
> features) will prevent true portability of the literals.

This is an interesting and crucial assertion.  If the regex
syntaxes do not have a useful overlap, only libraries that
allow regexs to "pass through" from the app to the platform
(creating no new regex objects of their own) will be
portable, at which point wrapping the pattern in
a clojure-something becomes rather less useful (except
I suppose for the original IFn point).

But is it true?  The amount of overlap between, for example,
JVM and JavaScript is quite substantial, both having
borrowed features and syntax quite heavily from perl.

http://www.regular-expressions.info/refflavors.html

I think that a s long as we're not trying to support ancient
engines (such as sed, awk, emacs...) the subset that
overlaps would be quite useful.

--Chouser