Matthias Benkard <mulkiat...@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Matthias,

> On 28 Aug., 13:42, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> I have a licensing question. Am I allowed to include clojure.jar in a
>> GPL project?
>
> IANAL, but if I understand the GPL correctly, it prohibits you from
> distributing a GPL-covered programme that is based on Clojure, because
> it would need to be linked to the EPL'd Clojure library code and so
> would make the combination have to be distributed under the GPL, which
> is impossible.

Yes, that's my impression, too.  Does it make a difference not to
distribute the clojure.jar with the GPL project, but to add "you have to
dowload clojure.jar and place it in the lib/ dir" to the README?

> What you can do to improve the situation in this case is to add an
> exception to the license.  See
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs
> for details.

That looks practical.

> If you don't own all of the GPL'd code, I think you're out of luck,
> though.

Well, the exception would only to be added to the code that requires
clojure.  IMHO, this is only the code written in clojure itself, and
that would all be written from scratch.  So here the copyright holders
are available.

Bye,
Tassilo