Thanks Phil and Rob for your help.

I got rid of everything in emacs.d, and tried reinstalling from the
beginning.  For some reason, elpa seems to get stuck halfway through
with this message:

trying to parse HTTP response code in odd buffer: *http tromey.com:80*

But having installed swank-clojure, I get an error:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: swank.swank

And I can't find swank-clojure.jar anywhere on my system.  Should I
have built that separately? Anyway, thanks very much for all your
help.

Rob