I've reverted to the setup that you listed, Ramakrishnan.  I spent
quite a few hours trying to figure out how to use ELPA + the forked
slime + the new swank clojure, but failed miserably (despite the kind
assistance of Phil and others on another thread).

I would agree that it would be nice to have the option of installing
packages oneself, since if an automatic package management system is
relied on, and it fails, it can be very difficult to figure out how to
fix things.