> I really like the clojure.contrib.logging library, but I find myself
> often getting tricked into thinking it works like println:

Nice idea.

My $0.02: Checking the the type of the last arg seems too dwim to me,
but it will certainly work.  I've been thinking recently that
info/warn/etc should be println or printf like and not take an
exception, while log itself should be the only thing that does take an
exception.  That would break lots of code, so it's probably off the
table.

Instead, like others, I have my own macro.  This one use printf
semantics.  For example:

    (flog :debug "Added %s [%s] to the write queue"
          (:query subject) (count msgs))

    (defmacro flog [level fmt & args]
      "Logs a message, using clojure.contrib.logging/log after running the
       arguments though format.  Should move this to logging.clj"
      `(log ~level (format ~@(cons fmt args))))

Cheers,
Chris Dean