hi, follow links from here:
http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/12/clojure-11-rc1-transients

chunked sequences have their first elements realized in advanced by
packets of 32

Under the hoods, it seems that range uses chunked sequences (
http://github.com/richhickey/clojure/blob/master/src/clj/clojure/core.clj#L2016
) , not iterate (
http://github.com/richhickey/clojure/blob/master/src/clj/clojure/core.clj#L2012
)