On Mon 22/03/10 11:31 , "LucPréfontaine" lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca sent:
> Is my first impression right or wrong ?
> Is Clojure harder to setup from Windows for beginners ?
> Would an installer (.msi) help by hiding Java related details and
> providing some basic scripts to run it ?

I think there are likely two camps:  Java users seeing Clojure as a library
that they can integrate with their
existing projects; and non-Java users, wanting something with an installation
experience something like Python.

For Java users, I think a zip with a jar file in it is great, and they'll
likely know what to do with it.  I'd be a
bit startled to find a Java library bundled in a .msi installer, it would make
Clojure seem foreign and invasive.

I don't think an msi would really add much at all, other than potentially
making it harder to install in some
environments.  A zip file with working startup scripts would be enough I think?
 I'd like to see the documentation
bundled too, so that you have a version of the documentation that corresponds
to the version of clojure that you have
downloaded.

Perhaps the zip file could have a lib directory that the scripts pull in all
jar files from, to make adding things
like database drivers and contrib to the environemnt easier?

Perhaps how Ant aranges its bin directory and lib folder is a good model to
borrow from?