I understand how conj works.    But how do you add a value to a
persistent vector?    You have to add the new item to the vector with
(conj vector item), but how do you assign the return value to the
persistent vector.   So far I have it working with a def  -- (def
vector (conj vector item)) -- but I'm not sure this is 'pure'
Clojure.    Is there a better way, functionally, or am I there?
Functional programming is the best way to go, but very few programs
can exist without mutable persistent data.

Bill