I love the Little/Seasoned Schemer books. They feel lightweight, both
physically and in content, and I managed to work through them fairly
quickly. It was surprisingly fun. SICP/HTDP/PAIP, on the other hand,
have more of the textbook feel which has so far kept me from working
through them.

The only thing that's kind of bitten me in the ass is that when I
started Clojure, I wrote a lot "lower level" fns, in the style of the
book. By this I mean lots of explicit recursion with cons cells,
accumulators, etc. when in fact there were already much higher level
constructs (map/reduce/filter/etc) I should have been using. Still,
you quickly learn, and it's nice knowing the plumbing.

Rob