On Mar 27, 1:10 am, Jarkko Oranen <chous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This looks neat. I probably won't find much use for it though, as my
> input method already has this functionality, and even that doesn't get
> much use due to the fact that I am horrible at writing kanji with the
> mouse (I'm left-handed, but my mouse-hand is right.)

I tried to get the recognition to a point where it doesn't matter how
bad you type, although there's still room for improvement. It more or
less finds the closest match in all Kanjis it knows, however different
the Kanji might look form the drawing, but if there is none that is
closer, it will be the first choice. So it does not try to force you
to draw exact strokes. Still, the general order of strokes and
direction will probably always be important, with more common variants
to be added.

> If you have no plans to try to make money with this thing, I you

I'm not thinking of selling this as a product.

> suggest simply put the thing on github so that interested people can
> take a look. I don't think it's worth keeping things like this hidden.
> Note that if you do so you should choose a licence other than GPL,
> because it's known to be incompatible with EPL which Clojure uses.

I just read through a couple of threads about the licensing issue in
this group, and also the EPL and GPL licenses themselves and their
FAQs.

As I understand the EPL license, creating a modified version of an EPL
product means creating derived work, and if derived work is
distributed, the source code must be made available, which is exactly
what I want. This should prevent others from benefiting from this open
source software, without them letting me and others benefit from their
changes by not open sourcing it.

However, there might be another option, which I'm not 100% sure about:
If Clojure was considered a "system library" as per GPL definition, I
could release my software as GPL, just as other projects compiled with
proprietary compilers are released as open source. I'm not sure
whether I can bundle my software with clojure.jar and clojure-
contrib.jar in that case though.

> (EPL is a slightly weaker copyleft licence, more like LGPL). EPL is
> the most common choice, but of course a BSD-style licence is fine as
> well.

At this point, my software is not a library, at least I'm not
currently seeing it as one. That might change, and at that point in
time I will decide what choices I want to give to the users of that
now-library. For now, I just don't want this to be secretly included
somewhere in a commercial/closed-source product - not that it's in
that state anyway :), but I don't mind sharing the sources.

In case this software actually gets to a state where commercial
companies are interested in incorporating that into their own
products, I'd like them to either use it open-source (so if they
modify, they have to share modifications), or give me enough money so
I don't mind them making money from it exclusively, without sharing
(at least with me :).

Eugen