> JVM newbie question here. Aside from the clojure & clojure-contrib jars, is
> there any downside to automatically setting up my CLASSPATH so that all jars
> on my box are available - even if I might only be using 1 or 2 for the code
> I'm working on at the moment?

The problem with such a scheme is inclusion of multiple versions of the same
library. This can result in obscure 'unresolved compilation' errors cropping
up when you try to use a method or class that doesn't exist in whichever
library the JVM happened to choose.

Does the jvm do any expensive initialisation for each jar? Or does it not
> make a difference until I explicitly import a jar in my clojure code?

I don't think it would make a difference. Static initialisation etc. doesn't
happen until a class is explicitly loaded.

Regards,
Stuart