On May 26, 10:29 am, Fogus <mefo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have mentioned my gripes in the IRC, but for public view I would
> love better names for chomp and chop.  In isolation those names are
> meaningless, so I suggest:

Almost every name in a programming language is meaningless in
isolation.  But we don't work in isolation.  Look at "slurp".  I had
to explain that one to a non-programmer colleague the other day.
"chomp" has a clear meaning to anyone who's touched Perl/Ruby/shell-
scripting.

"rtrim" in isolation could mean trim newlines, or trim whitespace, or
trim some specified characters, or trim arbitrary characters.  "less"
is so generic it could mean almost anything.

But this is largely an aesthetic question and I'm not going to lose
sleep if we end up with a word other than "chomp".

--Brian