On 27 May 2010 15:38, Base <basselh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding Clojure I got Stuart Halloway's book Programming Clojure

Another recommendation! Looks like that's definite then :-) Thanks.

> Also, I spend a *lot* of time on this site and ask a lot of really
> dumb questions.  Clojure has the best group support by far of any
> language I have ever seen.  The people on this board are truly
> amazingly helpful and patient - even with us newbies :)

Reassuring to know. As I suspect my dumb questions will be heavily
JVM-biased ("What's a classpath?") I'll probably need all the patience
people can muster!

Actually here's a JVM sort of question to start off with. To run my
little database monitor script on Windows, I use a command line

java -cp
clojure.jar;clojure-contrib.jar;D:\Oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\jdbc\lib\classes12.jar
clojure.main db.clj

That's a pretty hairy command line, just to run a script with no
parameters! What's the best way to tidy this up (on the Windows
command line)? I'd prefer not to wrap it in a batch file for a couple
of reasons - two files to maintain, and batch files have some
irritating properties on Windows.

For the script, I can associate "java -cp clojure.jar clojure.main %*"
with the .clj extension and that's OK, But is there a way of adding
the references to the other jars from within the script, so I don't
need to specify the classpath on the command line?

> The hardest part for me was getting things configured.  It is really
> confusing - particularly if you have no background to java.  Most of
> the users here use emacs for their IDE.  If you know emacs you can
> certainly try that.  There is Clojure in a Box that is a self
> contained package If you do not use emacs ( I do not - it is too damn
> confusing for me) then i recommend using and IDE that has clojure
> support.  There is one for Netbeans called Enclojure.  I use Eclipse
> and a plugin called CounterClockwise.  I really like it.

As a non-Java user, I'm strongly averse to the various IDEs.
Personally, I'm a Vim user and I like to do my compiling from the
command line. Hopefully, the "bare metal" approach won't get me into
too much trouble!

> Stu Halloway has a great starting tutorial with instructions on how to
> get up to speed and has a series of tutorials via a web server
> (integrated into the app). It is located at:
>
> http://github.com/relevance/labrepl
>
> This is where I would start.  It has helped me out immensely.

That looks like a great resource! Thanks!

Paul.