> Where can I get jar files of the various branches so I can test for
> myself without having to deploy whatever infrastructure is needed to
> build clojure these days? Or am I likely to be able to build them with
> tools found in the BSD ports tree?

It still seems to build with 'ant' like it always has for me? Install
devel/apache-ant and simply run 'ant' in the clojure checkout.

If you want to get the maven artifact installed in your local
repository for use with leiningen/maven projects, you first want to
install devel/maven2. The complication is that clojure is not built by
maven (normally you would just 'mvn install'), but instead is built
with Ant with it's maven tasks. So, you need to drop in:

   http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/maven/binaries/maven-ant-tasks-2.1.0.jar

Into ~/.ant/lib so that ant can pick that up. Afterwards, you should
be able to run:

  ant ci-build

And that should install (although it does so very silently) clojure
into your (user) local maven repository:

  ls -ltr ~/.m2/repository/org/clojure/clojure/1.2.0-master-SNAPSHOT

--
/ Peter Schuller