Seems to be worth a try. I wonder how well it would do? It looks like
neither Scala nor JRuby have won this before.

Here are the guidelines, if someone wants to give it a try:

"500-word description of product/technology/innovation being
nominated. Please emphasize the role of Java technology in making this
a success, with specific examples of the technology and the benefits
it brings to the development process and end product/system. Please
include the name of the product, principal programmers and design
engineers, customer names, target industries/markets, quotes, and
other specific information about the nominee."

Gray Herter