clojure.xml/parse is not documented to handle filenames-as-strings at all. It
treats strings as URIs, deferring to the host (JVM) notion of URI as
implemented in the underlying API.

I can certainly see why this would be confusing! Is there a way to make it
better without violating the expectations of someone who knows the Java API and
expects strings to be treated as URIs?

Stu