On Jun 27, 1:17 pm, Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-googlegroups.
620...@mired.org> wrote:
> Not quite - it's to keep the language *readable*. And if there's a use
> case for a feature that outweighs the damage done by abusing it,
> they'll add it. Witness with, list comprehensions, and those
> never-to-sufficiently-cursed augmented assignment operators. This
> implies simple only to the extent that it shouldn't get so large that
> one person can't keep the entire language in their head.

Python passed that point for me a long time ago. I'm always referring
to the docs. But that's true of most of the languages I work with now.

> So how does providing a drill press and bolt set (i.e. - macros) to
> the end user fit into this?

Certainly macros can be dangerous if used recklessly or clumsily, but
isn't trusting the programmer and giving him powerful tools what Lisp
is all about? No other language provides the same power of expression.
A tour through the Clojure code demonstrates just how powerful this
idea is and how easy it makes it for the language implementors to
implement features in a few lines of code that are major bullet-point
features in other languages.

> Well, there are already multiple OO implementations on top of
> 1.1. Most of them are more to show that you can do that if you really
> want to, and I'm not sure how much the additions to 1.2 will obsolete
> them.

I have to admit it's not entirely clear to me how to reconcile java
objects, tagged hashes, and protocols as alternative OO models in
Clojure It's probably just a lack of effort on my part in reading the
source and docs but I can't say that the ADT/OO story in Clojure is as
simple as the Python/Ruby approach, at least from the point of view of
the beginner.