As I said in the HN thread, I think you're right that getting started
with a productive clojure environment is harder than it has to be.

However, as I also said in the thread, I think the *real* obstacles
for a noobie are the concepts in the language itself. Clojure is very
elegantly designed, but it builds on some very powerful and somewhat
difficult concepts. Stuart's book is a big help here but I'm afraid
that Clojure is simply over the heads of a lot of "noobs" anyway.

So I wonder how much making the first few baby steps easier is really
going to help the uptake of Clojure. I have to imagine that the kind
of person that can't figure out  a CLASSPATH is going to have his head
explode when he has to figure out how to restructure all his
iterations in terms of loop/recur.