On Jun 28, 9:14 pm, Michael Richter <ttmrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah.  The Clojure community has already started down the road to Common
> Lisp-style, smugness-generated obscurity and disdain.  Bravo!  Well-played!

Not at all. Nothing would make me happier than "Clojure for Dummies"
and Wrox Professional Clojure books on the shelves of every Barnes &
Noble programming section. It's pained me to watch Python and Ruby far
outpace the growth of any functional language in the last ten years.
I'd love to stop looking for excuses to sneak things like Clojure
under the radar at work and actually have a management mandate to use
them.

The fact remains though that Clojure trades in heavy concepts. The
syntax alone will simply be a non-starter for at least half the
potential audience. Toss in concurrency and non-mutability and
ubiquitous recursion which are tricky concepts no matter how cleanly
exposed in the language. As many posters have said in this thread, you
really do have to have a decent grasp on Java to do real work in
Clojure so you're already on the hook for two languages, one of which
is a baroque and provincial monster. Like any engineering problem,
language design is about tradeoffs. Obviously Rich has worked hard to
make Clojure as approachable as possible but you can't simultaneously
emphasize tackling the really hard problems in software engineering
and making CRUDDY webapps as painless as possible for the average
programmer.

Believe that Lisp, perhaps this time in the guise of Clojure, will
conquer the world some day if you wish. There was a time when I wanted
to think so too. As it is, I'd be happy if Clojure becomes acceptable
enough for "hard problem" work that I'm not forced to use a soft fuzzy
tool like Java or Python instead.